Insect Social Media Board One 09/14/16

Fireflies

Hi, I’m Flash the firefly and I am four months old, which is pretty old for a firefly since fireflies only live long enough to mate and lay eggs. Anyway… I live in a warm wet areas, such as Asia or the Americas. I am often found flirting with males and showing of my signature light show. Did you know that each species of firefly have there own flashing pattern? It helps us tell each other apart.  You do not want to go a mate with the wrong species, if you know what I mean. The relationship just gets too complicated, someone always gets eaten. Ugh!!! Let’s move on… Our flash patterns can come in three different colors, orange, green, and yellow. Our light comes from a chemical reaction in our abdomen, although some species of fireflies don’t have light. It must be depressing to have no light, I mean I would die if i did have my beautiful light. Did you know that some of our Larvae even glow? They light up the underground like stars in the night sky. When I was a Larvae I was known to have the brightest light in the whole world. My species even had all night discos!!!! Beat that crickets, all you have is a annoying song that keeps everybody in the neighborhood awake!!!!! Anyway that’s enough about me. If you have anymore interesting facts about fireflies post them in my comment section, and remember if you need me just give me a flash. 🙂

-Flash

firefly-pics2.jpg (500×359)

One thought on “Insect Social Media Board One 09/14/16

1. I love fireflies in the summer. They are also known as lightening bugs. The thing is they are not flies or bugs but actually beetles! They are good in the garden because they are predacious. I love how they light up the fields blinking Hey baby Hey baby!